2009/03/18

2008 November 1 Saturday thru November 5 Wednesday.


Super Quantum Synchronicity

Ikuko and I had a bet about the USA Presidential Election Results.

She thought McCain would win, and I knew different.

So I challenged her to a bet, that if Obama was elected, she would buy us dinner and drinks at a restaurant of my choice.

When the morning edition of the Hokkaido Newspaper came to my door this morning, the front page headline said "Obama in the lead."

I didn't even bother to look at the rest of the newspaper at that point in time.

Finally at about 17:00 when the evening edition of the 道新 Newspaper arrived at my door, the headline read "Obama is the next President of the United States of America".

No big surprise there.

Our last class of the day was canceled by the student so we were able to go out to dinner an hour earlier than usual.

Ikuko needed about 15 minutes to get ready to leave, so I sat down to take another look at the morning newspaper.

I slowly looked through every page, and when I got close to the last pages of the newspaper, I GOT A BIG SURPRISE.

My good friend Mr. Akira Baba had passed away on November 3 at his home, in his bed, with a look of peacefulness on his face.

Also written in the newspaper was that November 5 was to be the funeral wake starting at 18:00 at the Ohtani Temple not far from our home.

After I got over the initial shock upon reading the news, I showed the newspaper article to Ikuko.

We immediately changed our dinner plans, got all dressed up in black, and walked on over to the temple to participate in the funeral wake that had already started about one hour ago.

We stayed there for about 2 hours and then walked back home. I even cried a little bit.

Mr. Akira Baba was born on March 12, 1936.

I first stepped out of an airplane and laid my feet on ground at the arrival lobby of the Asahikawa International Airport on March 12, 1990.

My wife Ikuko was born on March 11, 1963.
Mr. Akira Baba was 72 years old when he passed away.

That is exactly 6 times around the 12 year animal zodiac, in the year of the rat.

Mr. Akira Baba was very knowledgeable about world culture and local Hokkaido history and culture in particular.

Mr. Akira Baba passed away on November 3, 2008.
November 3 is a National Holiday every year in Japan.

It is called 文化の日, meaning CULTURE DAY.
Mr. Akira Baba was childhood friends with my wife's uncle.

In other words, her father's younger brother.

Ikuko and I opened our classroom in 1996, which was the same year of Mr. Akira Baba's 60th birthday.

A 60th birthday is a big deal in Japan known as KanReki 還暦.

Need I say it again? Everything is connected to everything else, even if you aren't aware of it.

Super heavy synchronicity showed itself to me again today, and weighed heavy upon my heart.

Mr. Akira Baba and I have taken many trips together around Hokkaido in connection with our activities as members of the
Hokkaido Cultural Property Protection Association.

I have also spent many enjoyable hours at his wonderful
Pub Restaurant Ohfune.

Click here to see a short photo slideshow of his place.

Click here to read my translation of a Hokkaido Newspaper article about him and his very successful business.

See you again in the big cosmos my friend! Where shall we travel to again next time?


馬場昭様のご冥福をお祈り申し上げます。
マスター、本当にありがとうございました。