2008/05/14

2008 May 1 Thursday.


The first day of May. Also known as May Day.

I don't know the details of this annual event, but it seems to have something to do with labor unions.

Also, it is the mid-point between the Spring Equinox 春分の日 and the Summer Solstice 夏至.


This has much more meaning for me, that anything having to do with some type of International Labor Movement, or whatever.

Anyway, I didn't have any classes today until 15:00, so I used my free time to do many things around my classroom and living room.

One of the things that I did was to make a new signboard 看板 for the windows of my classroom.

Big signboards can be very expensive.

But, by using a PC, an ink jet printer and a laminating machine, the small business owner, can save a ton of money.

Not only that, but you can get the exact results that you want, by Doing It Yourself (DIY).

I am very particular about the colors and designs that I use to advertise my little old classroom.

The laminated signs that I had taped to my classroom windows for about 4 years, have become color faded and hard to read.

Therefore, I decided to make completely new ones, using the same colors and design as before.

This is not difficult, but it does take time.

So, while I was printing out the new sheets of paper on my ink jet printer, I was also cleaning up the classroom and living room areas.

I often use a wet rag to wipe the surfaces of tables, chairs and other appliances.
Today, while using one wet rag for clean up, I absent mindedly left another rag in the bathroom sink, with the cold water running at full blast.

I was out in the other room, putting a sheet of paper into the printer, so as to print out the next letter of my signboard.

About one minute later when I went back into the bathroom area to get the wet rag, I discovered to my horror, that the rag had floated up into the overflow prevention drain holes near the top of the bathroom sink, thus blocking them.

As a result, a copious amount of cold water was running out over the top of the sink and down onto the floor below, and in all directions.

Oh my Gawwwwwwd!

I immediately turned off the water and unplugged the drain.

I grabbed a mop and started to mop up the excess water.

It was more than my little mop could handle.

About 2 minutes later, someone was ringing my classroom doorbell.

It was one of the office staff members from the first floor.

He said that water was leaking from my room down into a corner of the kitchen, of the restaurant which is directly below me.

Aw Xit!!! This time I have screwed up BIG TIME.

I told the man that I was taking care of the problem, and went back to using my mop.

Suddenly, it dawned on me that my big WET/DRY Vacuum Cleaner, would do a much better and much quicker job of sucking up the excess water.

So, I got it out and went to work.

In about 2 minutes, I had all of the excess water sucked up off of the floor, ensuring that no more would leak down to the kitchen below me.

At that point, I walked downstairs and in through the back door of the soba noodle restaurant to inquire about any water damage that I may have caused by my absent-minded behavior.

The boss of this restaurant and I, both recognize each other immediately, by our physical appearances, so he was not too surprised to see me inside his kitchen.

I anxiously asked him; "Did a lot of water leak down from my room into this kitchen?" He replied; "No, not much." Thank Gawd, I thought to myself.

Then I asked; "Did any water leak into the dining room area?"

He answered; "No, none at all."

I felt very relived to hear that.

I make mistakes, from time to time, as all humanoids do, but I always learn something new from any mistake.

Don't DO IT that way again, IS the basic message, from any mistake.

Lesson Learned, time to move on.

Golden Week, is just around the corner.

Time to kick back and relax.

Unless,...